Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sustainable Living Q&A: How to start sustainable urban living?

Question by : How to start sustainable urban living?
I’ve wanted to really get into sustainable living. I just moved into an apartment with a balcony and I’m overwhelmed with options… Where is the best place to start?
I am in a landscape horticulture program right now and taking ‘intro to sustainable landscaping’. This means I can do more stuff, but also have less focus. I have done little things such as buying mainly thrift and slowly making all my own toiletries.

Best answer:

Answer by Richard
First easy step container gardening, put a few pots on the balcony and grow food, tomatoes do very well lettuces, herbs, . There are whole web sites devoted to container gardening.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/containergardening/

So that would be an easy first step with a nice pay off, you cut down on your food bill, and think how a nice really fresh salad would taste, with home grown spinach, lettuces, tomatoes, and a nice herb dressing. And it you have frost, you just move them inside. A plus plus, you get better food and you’re saving the transportation cost.

Give your answer to this question below!



Tags:Living, start, Sustainable, Urban

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Search